2.09.2011

silhouette apron

I made two aprons with a silhouette of our boy's profile. One for my my mom at Christmas and one for my husband's mom for her birthday. This is the one you see here. I added an eyelet border to hers. (The eyelet was from a sheet set which my mom made into curtains for my college apartment. Now it is an apron border-I like to get my use out of fabric, you see!) .

freezer paper stenciled the silhouette first. Then using, an already made apron as a template, fold the existing apron in half (ties tucked in, so they are not severed when you cut around the template!) and lay it on top of your chosen piece of fabric - also folded in half lengthwise. Cut around the apron (template) leaving 1/2 inch seam allowance. Add the eyelet and ties and hem the edges- done. It's a tiny more complicated than that, but you get the idea. If I can do it, anyone who sews a bit can do it.  (the below photo is obviously not the fabric I used, but you get the idea)
^ look! I'm using picnik to edit photos- love it! ^
I used bias tape that I sewed on the edge (to close it) for the ties.

 Apron in action.
Actually I staged it. Nothin's in that pot!

oops, i missed a crumb when cleaning the counter!
Hope Grandma likes it! I am sure using my boy's head a lot for projects--loving it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

dear readers, i love your comments & questions! if you prefer you may e-mail me : aprilscraftnest at gmail dot com